The first article, about hospital waste, I felt is very imperative to understand, because many people, when they think about disposable waste, it is about things like plastic bottles, paper, and silverware, but many people don’t think about other things that are inherently as disposable, such as toiletry hospital supplies. The second article details the origins of many disposable products today, oil. Sometimes you can try to solve a problem, but why not prevent the problem in the first place? That would create much more of an impact rather than trying to reduce waste.
The third article, probably one of the most sad that I’ve ever read in my life, is about the almost obvious effect of disposable products, and also non-disposable products. A real life garbage dump right in the ocean! If that doesn’t affect a person’s way of thinking, I don’t know what will. Basically all of these three articles delve deeper into the causes, issues, and effects of what disposable products can do if they’re not responsibly managed.
Gilden, D. J. , K. N. Scissors, and J. B. Reuler. "Disposable products in the hospital waste stream." Western Journal of Medicine. 156.3 (1992): 269–272. Web. 19 Oct. 2011. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1003232/>.
Komanoff, Charles. "Ending The Oil Age: A Plan To Kick The Saudi Habit ." Right of Way. KOMANOFF ENERGY ASSOCIATES, Feb 2002. Web. 22 Oct 2011. <http://www.rightofway.org/research/newoilage.pdf>.
Morton, Thomas. "TOXIC: Garbage Island." TIME. 16 Feb 2010: n. page. Web. 22 Oct. 2011. <http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-16/world/vbs.toxic.garbage.island_1_north-pacific-gyre-pacific-ocean-currents?_s=PM:WORLD>.
Hi Dou, Although I'd say that last source is indicative of the public's perception, you do a good job of exploring a variety of perspectives. I'll be quite interested to see what you make of the different ways this information is being presented to its respective audiences.
ReplyDelete